Wow – I defy anyone to not leave this show feeling invigorated! Seriously rhythmic and lots of fun – the performers of STOMP’13 will have you in awe from the minute they hit the stage.
When: Until 25 August 2013, 8 shows only
Where: Comedy Theatre, Exhibition Street MELBOURNE
Cost: $59 – $99, book at Ticketmaster
Mini reviewer Charlie (5) loves to stamp, bang, crash and turn random objects into instruments – he’s also a lover of hardware: so he was the perfect date to accompany me to the opening night of STOMP‘s Melbourne show. Slight drawback was the 8pm curtain call (given that bedtime is usually 7pm) but Charlie had an afternoon nap and the general excitement of a late night out with mum was enough to fuel him through till 10pm. (And miraculously he’s still human 24 hours later.)
I kind of forgot that STOMP is not Tap Dogs (surely I am not alone in this, or maybe I am?). So some background: STOMP was created in Brighton, UK, in 1991 – a performance that was a unique combination of percussion, movement and visual comedy; and it still remains true to these roots today. There is no particular story line (that I was aware of – but please if you know better please leave a comment below!) however each performer has a consistent character that flows through the entire show.
- The show is just under two hours – there is NO interval,
- The Comedy Theatre does not provide kids booster seats so bring your own cushion,
- There are a few loud sections (towards the end) but overall they are fairly brief and Charlie only covered his ears once,
- There is no speaking and there is audience participation (in the form of clapping, stamping and clicking of fingers – Charlie added his own dance into the mix too),
- You will never be able to walk through Bunnings again without seeing the endless musical possibilities,
- In it’s lifetime STOMP has consumed over 50,000 boxes of matches, 30,000 brooms, 20,000 bins, 10,000 drumsticks and 25,000 litres of black paint applied with 737 paint rollers.
- Expect to see music being made from everything, including the kitchen sink!